Applications are sought from qualified persons who are interested in being considered for co-option to fill a vacancy.
To be qualified to stand for co-option persons must be a Commonwealth citizen, or citizen of the Republic of Ireland, or a citizen of another Member State of the European Community and be aged 18 years or over.
To qualify for co-option as a Parish Councillor applicants must: -
- Be a local government elector for the parish, or
- Be an occupier (owner or tenant) of land or premises in the parish for the previous twelve months, or
- Have their place of work in the parish for the previous twelve months, or
- Have resided within 4.8 kilometres (3 miles) of the parish boundary for the previous twelve months.
Please note that under Section 80 of the Local Government Act 1972 a person is disqualified from being elected as a Local Councillor or being a member of a Local Council if he/she:
- Holds any paid office or employment of the local council (other than the office of Chairman) or a joint committee on which the Council is represented; or
- Is a person who has been adjudged bankrupt or as made a composition or arrangement with his/her creditors (but see below); or
- Has within five years before the day of election, or since his/her election, been convicted in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man of any offence and has been sentenced to imprisonment (whether suspended or not) for not less than three months without the option of a fine; or
- Is otherwise disqualified under Part iii of the representation of the People Act 1983 for corrupt or illegal practices.
This disqualification for bankruptcy ceases in the following circumstances:-
- If the bankruptcy is annulled on the grounds that either the person ought not to have been adjudged bankrupt or that his/her debts have been fully discharged;
- If the person is discharged with a certificate that the bankruptcy was caused by misfortune without misconduct on his/her part;
- If the person is discharged without such a certificate.
Please send a brief synopsis about yourself, reason for wishing to be a councillor, previous community/council work, other skills that you can bring to the council career, interests, etc.
To the reach the Clerk,
Mrs D Emmott,
9 North Avenue, Sutton-in-Craven BD20 7NN
By: 30th April 2018