Thomas Bairstow bequeathed £3,000 for the erection of St Thomas' Church and a further £1,000 towards the endowment of it. The field in which the Church is built was called the Dove Lands.
The stone laying ceremony took place on November 7th 1868. Consecration day was the feast of St Thomas, December 21st 1869. The Bishop of Ripon officiated.
The white marble font and the pulpit was presented by Walter Bairstow. The organ was donated by Matthew Bairstow in1872, and the vicarage built in 1878 at his expense.
The Church is 81ft long, 42ft wide and the height of the ridge is 36ft. It consists of nave with aisles, chancel and side chapel. One of the latter was used as a vestry and organ loft, the other during the services by school children. A tower 60ft high and 14ft 6 inch square rises from the western end of the building. Seating is for approximately 350 persons.