The nursery of Tom Kershaw & Sons Limited was established in 1882 and the business appears to have included a florist’s shop and seed, bulb and tool warehouse in Keighley as well as the landscaping and nursery business. The business no long exists, however, it is possible that it was a major nursery and landscaping business in the area at the time.
The design of the park seems little changed from the original layout in 1911 which adopted a strong north-south axis reinforced by making a lime avenue along the length of the main drive. It was a design which exploited the shape and topography of the site and ingeniously divided the areas donated by the two mill owners, who had each given their gifts of land for different, albeit related purposes. Bairstow wished his gift to be laid out as a traditional park. Hartley wished his to be developed for recreation.
The main gates and piers which are on the southern boundary, link the older community of Sutton to the park. The main drive is aligned on the gable of the Church of England Primary School at this southern edge. Kershaws were responsible for site preparation although some of the park grass may have been retained from the meadow and pasture already on the site. Features proposed by Mr Bairstow were all incorporated notably the single storey caretakers lodge, lavatories, two pavilions, (shelters), the pond, bowling green, tennis courts, promenade and paths, boundary wall, railings and gates. The pond at the lower, northern end of the park, is a serpentine feature drawing its
water supply from the adjoining Sutton Beck. It is stilled filled and emptied by the original method of an inlet and outlet from the beck.
Most of the original trees on the site when the park was laid out, have now been lost, particularly the elms (which were possibly the young trees moved to within the southern boundary during the 1911 road widening).