Developments in the 1920's
(The extension, War Memorial, tennis courts, middle (ladies) shelter, putting green, swings.)
The new extension to the recreation area was opened in May 1920 by its donor James Bairstow giving additional space for football, cricket and other sports. The opening was marked with maypole dancing. In the following year the War Memorial was unveiled and two new grass tennis courts were made near the original courts. Mrs Bairstow donated an additional shelter in 1923 sited towards the middle on the east side of the main drive overlooking the recreational area. It was her wish that it should be particularly for the benefit of women using the park - no doubt it was to give good views for mothers watching children using the recreation area. The putting green was made in 1925 and the maypole removed to the south of the new shelter. In 1926 swings were donated.
Developments in the 1930's
(Two hard tennis courts, lime trees, summer bedding.)
After three years of deliberation two of the grass tennis courts were converted into hard courts in 1933/34 using a ten year loan from the County Council. In 1933 the main border of the park was replenished with new plants but there is no indication as to whether these were shrubs or herbaceous perennials. During the decade trees and shrubs were pruned and thinned and eight further lime trees were planted in the grass near the southern boundary west of the lodge. From 1939 the park keeper raised bedding plants in the new greenhouse - probably the inception of summer bedding in the park.
Developments in the 1940's
(Slide, removal of shrubs and felling of old trees.)
Approval was given in 1940 for the felling of the old trees. The shrubs were cleared between the top shelter and the putting green in 1942, and in 1947 shrubbery was removed from the sides of the beck. In 1949 a slide and a clock for the bowling green pavilion was donated. It is unlikely that the park railings were removed during the Second World War.
Developments in the 1950's
(Memorial tablet, cost of park maintenance)
The Second World War Memorial tablet was unveiled in 1950 and from 1952 it is evident from Parish Council minutes that is is necessary to consider ways of reducing the cost of maintaining the park. In January 1956 at a special meeting it is decided to reduce the area of the putting green by half, to prune the existing bushes in the border on the west of the main drive and to enlarge the perennial herbaceous area. However some annual bedding was retained.
Alterations in the 1960's
(Play equipment, reduction in bedding out, shrub removal, planting of flowering cherries, bulbs, WI rose bed.)
Further children's play equipment was installed in the recreation area. Dahlias given by Mr Davey were grown in the beds alongside the main drive and the tubers over wintered in the tennis pavilion. Bedding out at this time included french marigolds, cinerarias, lobelia, antirrhinum and alyssum and was a colourful feature along the west side of the drive, on the east side of the drive near the Lodge and tennis courts and near the putting green. From 1962 to 1965 bedding plants were bought in but it appears that the new greenhouse and heating in 1966 allowed plants to be raised from seed again. However in 1965 permission was given to grass the verges on the main drive between the bottom and centre shelters. there was also continued removal of shrubs - rhododendron in 1963, laurel bushes from between putting green and bowling green in 1966/7, and in 1968/9 the bushes to the south of the bowling green were replaced by four flowering cherries given by the school children. In 1966 the rambler roses were removed from the War Memorial and in 1969 daffodils were planted here. Bulbs were also planted to naturalise on the bank above the beck. The golden Jubilee of the WI was celebrated by the members planting four dozen rose bushes in the bed near the top shelter in 1965.
Developments in the 1970's
(Jubilee Pavilion, adventure playground, rose bushes, shrub removal)
Roses were planted by the bowling pavilion and War Memorial in 1971 and in 1972 the adventure playground given by the Round Table replaced two of the tennis courts. Laurel and holly bushes continued to be removed including bushes round the pond. The toilets were pulled down. Grass was laid down around the bases of the trees between the main drive and the bowling green and an area left for dahlias. In 1978 after much of the work had been donated by local people, the Jubilee Pavilion was opened between the bowling green and the War memorial area.
Developments in the 1980's
The tennis pavilion burnt down in 1981 was not replaced. Other changes have included removal of dangerous play equipment including the adventure playground, theft of many of the 'Scarborough' seats, and further removal of shrubs have been extensively clipped and only a little perennial herbaceous planting remains near the Lodge. There are no summer bedding. Replacement tree planting has occurred on the southern boundary.
Developments in the 1990's
A garden was created at the northern end of the park in 1995 to celebrate fifty years of peace. The bathroom in the lodge was refurbished. 200 packs of 6 Pansies and 400 mixed heathers were offered to the park for £200 and accepted .New playground equipment was installed. A scented garden was sited in a raised bed near the Pavilion.The area around the pavilion was tarmaced.
The Recent Past
A new notice board was erected. Lightning struck the park lodge causing damage to the roof. Major refurbishment took place to the Pavilion, surfaces, shelters in the park with money obtained from the Heritage Lottery. Annual bedding plants are now a regular feature of the park. A new multi use games area was provided and the Pavilion was opened as a Tea Room in 2004. Removal of Lime Trees down the Main Avenue, replaced by 22. The roundabout was stripped and refurbished using oak.
Key Historic Features
In summary the following key features survive. Iron railings - main gates and piers - Bull Bridge gate and piers - bottom bridge gate and piers - Church Road gate and piers -gate into recreation ground presumably c.1920 - lodge - top shelter - bottom shelter - bowling green pavilion - middle (ladies) shelter, 1923 - pond - War Memorial, 1920 - some ' Scarborough' seats - bowling green -putting green, 1925 - main drive and paths - Beckside trees and shrubs.